Wednesday, July 30, 2008

2008 Nissan Rogue


By: Nathan D. Adlen

Before I test a vehicle, I peruse the specifications sheet. I look for positive points - ah-la turbo, supercharger, ram air, 6 speed manual, etc. Also, possible negative points like low power, heavy weight, optional traction control and, especially a CVT (continually variable transmission). Think of a CVT as a stretching rubber band that alters its tension between the running gear and engine for optimum power delivery and efficiency without the need for shifting.

The Nissan Rogue’s only transmission choice is the CVT and I was ready to condemn it right away. Funny thing, it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. Up until now, the only CVT I remotely tolerated was on the Mitsubishi Lancer which was designed to simulate gears. Fake, but fun, I guess. You can get a similar set on the Nissan Rogue. The Nissan Rogue’s CVT still had a few issues (such as noise), but it did return outstanding mileage and decent power delivery.

Oh man… I’m about to say it – the Nissan Rogue’s CVT isn’t that bad…

As for the rest of the Nissan Rogue – think of it as a mini, cheaper Nissan Murano and you get the gist of what the designers at Nissan were aiming at. A 170-hp 2.5-liter 4 cylinder engine is the only motivation available for the Nissan Rogue; it is a nice little engine. Peppy and eager, it launches for a stoplight are quicker than many would expect, even with the optional “Intuitive” all-wheel-drive. The engine sounds fairly athletic, but the tunes sour a tad with the racket the CVT makes. It’s not too bad and the 175 pound feet of torque pulls you ahead with aplomb.

Nissan designers used the Nissan Sentra’s chassis and several components to incorporate into the Nissan Rogue. I feel the design language and execution of the Nissan Rogue is better than the Sentra and the CVT transmission is better suited for the Nissan Rogue. Regardless, I wish they had a manual option for driving enthusiasts. This could convert the Nissan Rogue into a more performance orientated vehicle.

I’m not that excited about the design of the Nissan Murano, but the Nissan Rogue seems to be less eccentric. It is a question of taste. I like the conservative, yet playful design language of the Nissan Rogue’s lines. It doesn’t say, “Look! I’m square and tall; I MUST be made for off-road,” like many SUVs. I think its French accent surfaces (Nissan is aligned with Renault) and it says, “Look at my très magnifique simplicity, I am designed for zee’ street and am proud of it!” It is stylish, and with the exception of the front grill, tightly packed. The grill is cheese-grater like and kind of reminds me of a cartoon animal’s face.

There is a feeling of feminine esthetic that surrounds the Nissan Rogue for me. I’m not saying that the Nissan Rogue was deliberately made or marketed for women, but it reveals a quality that imparts something less wana-be manly than the competition. Even the interior says something more than “utilitarian” as there is no cheap attempt at any chunky knobs, fake screw heads, or faux steel and overdone gauges. It is a simple yet attractive place to be. I think if you compare the Nissan Rogue to other cute/smart cars and you’re on the right track.

Speaking of track, that’s where the Nissan Rogue shines. I love the way it handles and how light it feels on its toes. Good steering communication (the electronic power steering keeps the Nissan Rogue from steering great) and just enough grip make driving the Nissan Rogue rather entertaining. Compared to most of its competition (the Jeep Compass, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, Saturn Vue, Subaru Forester, Hyundai Tucson, etc.) the only small crossover that imparts more pleasure cornering would be the new Mazda CX-7, with the Subaru Forester at a close second.

Where the Nissan Rogue potentially shines is in the bang-for-the-buck category. I say “potentially” because many of the option packages Nissan provides are way too expensive (e.g. the leather package on the SL, with all of the bells and whistles you need to get it is a ridicule’ $5,200!) mon dieu! I highly recommend you avoid the option packages as many require other packages before you can actually add them.

Starting at $19,430 for the Nissan Rogue S base model front-wheel-drive and peaking at just a hair under $30,000 for the fully loaded all-wheel-drive Nissan Rogue SL, you do have quite an arc when it comes to what you need verses what you want in this vehicle. Once you begin to outfit a Nissan Rogue SL, you are in the same dollars and cents category as the Nissan Murano which is a far more substantial machine.

I do recommend the extra $1,200 for the all-wheel-drive option as it works seamlessly with the Nissan Rogue’s CVT and traction control system. Yes, many don’t need all-wheel-drive and buy SUVs for their other attributes (such as ride height, load capacity and go-anywhere looks), but much of what makes a crossover SUV compelling can be substituted with the logic of a car. In fact, I would recommend moving to the well optioned Nissan Versa if you only wanted front-wheel-drive as this is a more economical, nearly as roomy and frugal choice.

There are a few noticeable flaws in the Nissan Rogue that are not as apparent as the looks or driving dynamics. Load capacity is a major issue for me. Look, I’m a big boy (250 lbs worth) and I have some husky friends. So, let’s say I wanted to go fishing with a couple of my meaty friends, who are a tad larger than me – and opted to bring my mouse-like sister for a giggle… We would easily surpass the maximum load capacity of 900 lbs. Many mini SUVs and crossovers have the same weight flaw as the Nissan Rogue and you need to look into it before you buy.

Another issue with the Nissan Rogue (other than its rather silly name – come on, Rogue? It’s not that much of an anarchist I’m afraid) is the rear seats. Nearly every competitor’s back seats recline or slide forward and aft – or both. The Nissan Rogue’s back seats do neither and don’t even have a folding center armrest. Luckily, there is competitive rear leg and head room. The Nissan Rogue does have a trick little storage system that pops up from the rear loading area which allows you to separately store items (like groceries) in three, large trays separated by a mesh net.

There are a few neat touches to the Nissan Rogue’s interior that are rather thoughtful. I liked the big glove box that had several spots to store things like ipods, cell-phones, CDs and other odd sized items. The center armrest is a handy size without being too large and the door pockets are well shaped for maps and bottles. It all works well and I find the lighter color interior choices to be more attractive.

Front seat comfort is very good. However, I had a hard time finding that “just right” seating position and my right knee kept grazing an outcropping directly above the climate control dials (sometimes it sucks being a “big boy”). My friends were comfortable sampling the front and my Smurf-like sister would have no problem in the driver’s seat. I think the Nissan Rogue would make an excellent choice for short people given its easy to reach controls, easy to access ride height and fairly low (for an SUV) step-in height. Also, keep in mind that although front and side sightlines are quite good, the side/rear ones are compromised by the shape of the rear quarter flanks.

This is one of the smaller SUVs in its class and you might notice some lack of cargo capacity, especially compared to a SUV like the Honda Element (which, strangely enough has a terribly low load weight capacity too) given its boxy dimensions. If loading more than two children and some groceries is on the agenda, look for larger SUVs (I still highly recommend the Mitsubishi Outlander). The Nissan Rogue is not a load king compared to most of its competition.

Despite having P215/70R16 all-season tires, the Nissan Rogue imparted excellent grip and great stopping power with its 4 wheel disk brakes. I keep coming back to its performance and economy (did I mention the all-wheel-drive Nissan Rogue’s 24 MPG combined?) because it allows me to forgive most of its shortcomings.

This is a fun little machine to drive and blaring tunes through its excellent Digital Bose® audio system with AM/FM/in-dash 6-CD changer sound system while mashing the big pedal is a sure-fire cure for the blues. Thank you Nissan Rogue for having a MP3 jack on the stereo – there is no excuse not to have this key item anymore.

If you enjoy driving and like a small car that looks like crossover SUV, has an artistic French thing going on with its design, then the Nissan Rogue might be le voiture merveilleux for you.

1 comment:

Frances said...

If you could find this great model in a used car lot, you need to check if what's under the hood is working well so that you'd end up with a great car at a price you can surely afford.